To formulate national policies and programs for the maintenance, repair, operation and readiness of Government-owned or acquired merchant ships, especially the National Defense Reserve Fleet (NDRF).
Programs and Services
Under the general direction and supervision of the Associate Administrator for Strategic Sealift, the Office of Ship Operations shall:
- Preserve the National Defense Reserve Fleet vessels and facilities
- Acquire, allocate, operate and maintain a Ready Reserve Force (RRF) and ensure it can be activated within 4, 5, 10 or 20 days
- Establish program inventory requirements, uniform ship repair and maintenance standards, techniques, methods and procedures.
- Conduct fleet service activities and engineering studies for improved methods, techniques, equipment and materials.
- Review and make recommendations on applications for ship financing guarantees and operation of Government-owned ships under general agency, ship management or charter agreement
Information for the main office is listed to the upper right. See specific program pages for individual program contacts.